Sunday, May 10, 2020

let's make amethyst apothecary bottles

Hello! Welcome to the ninth installment of my Let's Make Sunday Series where I'm sharing easy projects to make from things you are likely to already have at home. Today we're going to be making empty glass jars resemble antique apothecary bottles. Because I want to match the lilacs in my yard that are just beginning to bloom, I decided to make amethyst colored bottles but you can mix most any color and here's how:


You will need:
Decoupage medium (Mod Podge) or school glue
Food coloring
Glass jars, bottles
Paint brush
Paper plate
Wax paper (optional)

Prep:
I always like to protect my work surface with a sheet of wax paper which is great because it's fairly waterproof and when you're done you can just crunch it up and throw it away or let it dry and use it again.


How to:
On a paper plate put a quarter size drop of decoupage medium, a speck of red and a speck of blue food coloring. Mix together with your paint brush and you should get a deep black raspberry kind of color.


Other color ideas: pure shades like blue; a speck of red to make a rosy pink; specks of yellow and red to make a shade of amber; specks of blue and yellow to make green.


Apply in light even coats to the surface of your jar.


When the glue mixture has dried - it will look like this. If you're not happy with the results, you can mix a new batch of color and apply until you get the shade you like best.


If you're like me, you'll start digging around for all kinds of bottles. Don't forget the spice cabinet!

Happy tinkering + please stay safe at home + well!

xo
elyse

PS
Follow me on Instagram at elyse.press.major and be sure to click on "chick flix" at my Stories for a giggle!


No comments: