Monday, November 28, 2011

giving thanks and getting ideas



Greetings! I spent a lovely and yummy Thanksgiving with family and stayed at my sister's new-to-her/dream-come-true lakeside cabin and just had to snap pics to share no matter what the lighting (so please bear with dark photos). Also, I am writing this as quickly as possible before running to meet my boys at the bus ... Catch as catch can!



My sister Betsy's cabin is quite adorable and she is having the bestest time ever "feathering" it.



Her bedroom has a view of the lake. {Note her own Anthro splurge on bedding}



My sister's cabin is decorated the way I think cabins should be -- with slipcovers, cheap finds (Betsy loves auctions) and GASP-induced splurges.





In the kitchen, Betsy had the upper cabinets removed and added beadboard and open shelving in their place.



Cabin Fever: Glasses from Dollar Tree, shelving brackets from Anthropologie, and a pretty decanter filled with dishwashing liquid!



Mirrors and mercury glass on the mantle



A small chandelier over the table



The day after Thanksgiving we visited Groff's Mill Pond Nursery to swoon over beautiful displays of decorations.



Love this idea of branches in mason jars filled with moss and natural items.



Inspiration on every shelf!



Wasn't it just summer ... yesterday?

Hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving, too!

xo
elyse

21 comments:

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a beautiful cabin, I am green with envy! Glad you had a good Thanks giving.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Your sister's cabin is super cute :) :) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the kitchen sink area. It's super cute, vintage and simple :) :) I've always wanted a kitchen like that ;) Have a great week. Thanks for sharing the great photos :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Debby said...

Love your sister's cabin. Does she live there full time. We had a cottage that we sold a few years back....this made me miss that so much.

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

what a sweet cabin. : )

Apple Blossom Barn said...

How sweet is Betseys Cabin, I love her name too but what a lovely place to escape to, what fun that would be to tinker with!

Best wishes from Ireland

Denise

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Elyse Eliz, for the sweet post. Please hurry back to play house!

xoxo
Betsy

Blondie's Journal said...

The cabin is lovely! What a great place to escape to! I love how your sister has fixed it up...it has so much personality!

Thanks for sharing your pictures of the nursery. I'd love to visit! :-)

XO,
Jane

Claudia said...

Your sister must be beyond happy! What a fabulous cabin - and decorated perfectly!

xo
Claudia

Hearts Turned said...

What an absolutely perfectly perfect cabin, Elyse! You're right--it's decorated JUST the way a cabin should be!

So glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving--so did we--crazy, but lovely!

Wishing you a wonderful night, dear friend!

Julie

SLR said...

adorable cabin...so cozy and charming! seems like the two of you have very similar tastes...
that nursery looks amazing! sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!
I crammed 15 people in my house for a sit-down dinner, dropped most of the rolls on the floor, and burnt my hand...that was my Thanksgiving. LOL! Still had a good time though ;)

Lorrie said...

What a cozy cabin. I especially like the kitchen with the beadboard and open shelving.

Jen Kershner said...

What a lovely little cabin! I'd love to have one some day. Hers is an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

OH MY! Betsy's cabin is adorable! Something very much like what I want ours to look like - when we finally get back to finishing it!!! :) We are hanging solar panels on the new shed this week. Not too exciting, but free electricity is a good thing.
Looks like you had a won-der-filled Thanksgiving, Elyse! Hope your week is happy too.
Hugs,
Zuzu

Vintage Home said...

I must say your sisters cabin is delightful...the log wals are amazing!

Diane Mars said...

Yes I know what you mean it's seems like Summer just ended... Christmas is just coming way too fast for me! I love your sisters cottage, I bet you two really have fun spending time there! Hugs, Diane

Karen said...

OH boy - your sister's cabin is a dream. How fun would that be? And on the water no less...perfect!
Enjoy! HAGD! Karen

Jessica Rodarte said...

Oh my goodness!!! She has a great eye! What a lovely cabin. So, all this talent for charming, yet affordable decor in one family?
So inspired (if not downright jealous) over here. ;)

TheSaltedAvocado said...

I am absolutely transported! What a cozy, warm, delightful place. The bedroom particularly jumped out at me, because of that wonderful bedspread. Thanks for sharing. :)

sharon g said...

Gorgeous!!! And I wish that we had that store by my house. I would spend hours looking (and buying)... sharon dot gullikson at gmail dot com

Katy Noelle said...

"GASP induced splurges"?!!! =D Is that what you said? That's what I heard...I'll be smiling all day about that.... =]

xo

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I LOVE your sisters cabin! I can see it in a magazine! The bedding is so sweet and I love what she has done in the kitchen . Talent runs in the family!

Love,
Maryjane xox