Sunday, January 3, 2010

swaps and fun facts



Happy New Year!

Blogging friends know that I enjoy swaps. I think it is fun to have a crafty "assignment" with a deadline, assemble treats, and meet new creative bloggers. There are currently two for which I am signed up.

Cathy of Treasured Heirlooms has put together the Amour Valentine Swap. This is Cathy's first time hosting a swap but she is no stranger to beautiful things. Visit Cathy's pretty blog or shop(s) and you will recognize her from all of the awesome and well-deserved press she receives for her whimsical creations and beautiful home and garden in magazines like Romantic Homes. I have actually looked through saved magazines and found pictorials: That's Cathy!

Fun fact about Cathy:
Look for Cathy in the March issue of Romantic Country.

I am also participating in Heather of Speckled Egg's Petite Inspiration Box Swap (PIB). I was part of this swap last year and not only was I introduced to creative bloggers but to using materials I had never used before, like ledger paper (it's true). Heather is a Silver Bella gal which attributes to my being enamored of her and her talents.



Fun fact about Heather: (Re)introduced me to the wonders of embellishing matchboxes. My first experience was the make-your-own dresser idea pamphlet from the Sunshine Family doll set at about age 10. Does anyone remember these?



This was a box I received from one of my three PIB swap partners last year, Jennifer. If interested, here is my post about it.



Before even knowing about these swaps, I was asked by my friend Bethany to instruct a craft night at our local library in February. This box is what I made to be the example. I think it will be fun.

Fun fact about Bethany:
First person to tell me she had a blog. Yep, thanks to Bethany I have discovered this whole wonderful world!

Not sure if the swaps listed above are still accepting participants but if this sounds fun to you, keep your eyes open to posts about swaps and consider signing up. They really are fun and worthwhile.

Oh, I am supposed to be taking ornaments off of the tree. Gotta go!

xo
elyse

25 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Hi Elyse! I signed up for Heather's swap too! Ooh I am so looking forward to looking for vintage items, don't you? It is always so much better than those new hobby shop things! Have fun too!

Unknown said...

HI Elyse! I just know you are going to have so much fun with these swaps! They all look wonderful! One of my resolutions was actually NOT to participate in any swap this year, lol! I literally make myself sick over them!! But if a bunny one comes along, I might not be able to resist, lol!! I always love seeing what you do for swaps though!!
Hugs,
Amy

Its So Very Cheri said...

Elyse--
how fun. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year

Cheri

cupcake studio said...

Oh my word...that little shot of the Sunshine Family just made my day!!! I used to play with them in their house for hours on end :) What a great memory!

Lisa said...

Get those ornis off girl!! I know that Cathy's swap is open until Jan 8th! I personally cannot wait because I want to know what color I am to do!! Hard finding a Heart box. I may have to use a round one. But I have good ideas!
Enjoy your swaps!!
Hugs, Lisa

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I do remember the Sunshine Family...I absolutely LOVED them...I still have them infact!

Lori said...

hey girl, don't tempt me with those swaps...i am feeling like such a slug right now...i will live vicariously through your swap posts instead...winter makes me tired...

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Oh what fun! Love your little box for the class you will lead. I cant believe you found a picture of the sunshine family! I had that play set too. What a walk down memory lane.

stefanie said...

Ok, I did it, I am doing my first swap....you are now a professional swapper..lol

Theresa said...

Hi Elyse, I love those boxes. I am really going to make one soon. I have way to many things on my list this week but I will start collecting up some supplies. Love to see all of your sweet creations! Hugs from me!

Vicki said...

Hi, Elyse,
These both sound like so much fun! I am sure you will come up with something really creative! I look forward to seeing all the creative projects!! Enjoy your swaps!! Vicki

Unknown said...

Those swaps sound like a lot of fun! Here's hoping you girls have a ball spoiling each other with your talents!

koralee said...

Thank you for sharing...the swap sounds amazing. I am off to visit her blog right now. I am in love with those sweet matchboxs.... *sigh*

Lori Holt said...

Hi Elyse...Maryjane from Beehive Cottage sent me over to your etsy and I was thrilled to see such cuteness, I promptly placed an order. I can't wait to get them!
Now I'm going to stalk you're blog for a while...lol!
I too have had my share of making matchbox dressers and also dolly beds in the past...such fun memories. Thanks for sharing yours.
x
Lori

Bethany said...

Janet just said, I read Elyse's "nod" to you on her blog, how nice. I'm like, What nod? And here is it! Thanks. I'm looking forward to the craft at the little library.
Oh the Sunshine Family dolls!!!!! What's up with the Dad's hair? I had the mountain type dad too with a beard I think. I pretended he was the uncle. I LOVED them. I loved the Dad's practical shoes for some reason. Should've know back then something was up with me, eh?

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I know they will LOVE what you make! What fun swaps! Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Maryjane
xox

Brenda Pruitt said...

Sounds like so much fun! I've only participated in one. But it wasn't making things by hand. It was a Halloween swap. I need to get my "crafty mindset" going for the new year, and so I shall visit your friends.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

You have certainly gotten me hooked on swaps!! I am not able to do these this time as I have so much I need to get done but am looking forward to doing more swaps this year!

I did do an entry about your sweet things I received in our swap- its the second blog entry (the one after my before and after post)

blessings friend-
mary

anythinggoeshere said...

It looks so neat. You will show us your finished piece won't you?

Cathy said...

Awesome post Elyse. Thank you so much for all the kind words.


xo Cathy

{oc cottage} said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! You dork! I soooooo had the Sunshine Family! and I totally had a flashback about that dresser! I am off to Ebay to go down memory lane with old toys!
(I want a Dancerina!)

m ^..^

North West London Girl said...

How completely wonderful. I will keep my eye firmly fixed on seeking out some swaps xx

icandy... said...

They sound like so much fun!!!
Maybe I'll try a swap sometime soon!
Happy New Year to you!!!
OXOX
Christina

The imPerfect Housewife said...

OK, loved the post but my ears (well I guess EYES) totally perked when I read about you doing a demo at the local library! I have to either be in charge of a "program" or help with one at the library where I work and these would be so precious! I don't have your craftiness though. Dang it! You've got my mind whirling though so that's a good thing, right?? Adorable as always ~ ♥

American Homemaker said...

I'm hosting my own swap right now or I'd be tempted to take part in one of those :)