Sunday, June 21, 2020

let's make cottage style god's eyes

Happy Summer! Welcome to my Let's Make Sunday Series where I've resumed blogging since March to share easy projects. Many of us will be having a home-based summer and need to find ways to make the everyday special, so my plan is to post grown-up twists on summer camp faves. As always, the makes presented will be simple and fun, using things you are likely to already have or are not difficult to find. 

Welcome to Camp Tinker! Today we're making that staple of summertime arts and crafts: the God's Eye or Ojo de Dios. To give it cottage style or a shabby spin, we're using strips of cotton fabric instead of yarn or twine resulting in a rustic home accent.



You will need:
2 sticks or twigs
Scissors
Scraps of fabric



I foraged around outside and found a nice thin stick which I snapped into two equal pieces.



Prep
Next, I snipped the edge of a length of fabric and tore a strip about a half inch wide. You will need many of these strips – which you can prep by tearing all at once – or rip along as you go. Tie each fabric end to the next and knot resulting in a single long strip. Place the sticks into an equal cross. Tie the fabric strip into a knot at the center of one of the sticks



Working clockwise from the center knot, wrap the fabric around the stick, rotate and do the same to the next stick. Once you begin to get the hang of it, it will be like turning a steering wheel, wrapping the fabric around and under as you go.



I hope these images will help but if they don't – there are many tutorials to be found with a simple Google search. They will most likely use yarn but the method is the same.

I didn't want my finished piece to be too large, so I snapped all four branch ends. Once completed, I knotted the final strip to another piece hidden in the back. Tie a final fabric strip to one of the sticks and knot into a loop for hanging. 



The resulting woven pattern is very pretty. I used a few different fabrics, mostly pinks and whites with rose motifs, but the possibilities are endless.

Happy tinkering + please stay safe at home + well, campers!


xo
elyse


No comments: