Monday, July 2, 2012

camp tinker: welcome!



Welcome to my new idea for summertime, Camp Tinker!



As you probably know, I enjoy putting a shabby-style spin on simple craft projects. This summer while between book deadlines, I thought my blog would be the perfect sunny location to try out some ideas.



I love camp art projects. Things made from the simplest of supplies and shortest of instructions! Most of these projects will be things you made yourself in elementary school -- but changed slightly to make them ... say, more palatable for grown-up tastes.



Camp Info
- All projects aim to be easy-peasy so that even those who believe they are not crafty (which I don't believe) will have fun
- All feedback on projects is very appreciated
- Please feel free to share completed projects on the Tinkered Treasures Facebook page
- Camp is in session, rain or shine
- Sunscreen is not needed, unless you are tinkering outdoors
- Be sure to have a snack

Sound fun? Hope so, Campers! Now, let's begin ...



Our first arts and crafts project will be to make a shell covered vessel.



Begin by covering a clean tin can with small shell macaroni. (In the photo I am using a painted can that didn't turn out quite right.) You may either make lines of glue and place shells one at a time or get all first-grade and cover the can with glue in sections, adding bunches of shells at once.



Whichever method you use to cover the can with shells, be sure to gently press the shells to the can occasionally to help them set, and for best results work with the can on its side.



Once the can is covered with shells and the glue has dried well (overnight?), apply a few coats of spray paint. Because I wanted my macaroni to resemble actual shells, I used white spray paint in semi-gloss. Once your vessel is coated as you like, let it dry completely.



Fill and display!
{True story: I have shown this to two people and both thought this was made of real shells}

I hope you enjoyed this first "meeting" of Camp Tinker!

xo
elyse

26 comments:

debi said...

Elyse, I love your summer camp idea!! How fun and creative you are.
Love the shell covered can, it really does look like real shells! :)

Anonymous said...

Super cute idea! And I get to use spray paint. My fave! Thanks Elyse!

Theresa said...

Oh how cute! Your camp is so much fun! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a neat idea. I shall be back to see what else you come up with!

The imPerfect Housewife said...

Seriously, could this GET any cuter!?? I don't think so! Great job, girl. Love this idea.

m said...

super cute! God I love spray paint :o)

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Ahhh it's so sweet. You could fool anyone with that! It totally looks like shells. Great job! :)
Erica

Apple Blossom Barn said...

Really cute idea we will have to try that my kids would love it!

Jeff (Second Reel) said...

They look like real shells! Really delicious, that is!

mary k said...

When my granddaughters (5, 3 1/2, nd 2) come to visit, they always want to do a project. This is perfect, will collect the materials, and wait for the next visit. I think I will do the spray painting!

Lucille said...

Thanks so much, Elyse. I am very tempted to make one of these. I have everything but the spray paint!

Jeanne said...

Fantastic summer idea Elyse. They really do look like real shells!
xo
jeanne

NanaDiana said...

What a great idea all the way around, Elyse...from the idea of camp to the easy project you shared here. My grandkids are gonna love this one...and I will do a picture post with a link back to you- xo Diana

SLR said...

i heart Camp Tinker!! this is so so cute. i'm gonna try this with miss maggie :)

Diane Mars said...

Great concept, and so much fun, I love creating something using ordinary~ Keep it up... very fun!!

Terri said...

Elyse this looks so fun. I think I will do this with my son. He will love it. I love your camp idea...so creative. Thanks for the inspiration! Terri

Anonymous said...

Yup! I would have thought they were real sheels! CUTE! ♥

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Super cute Tinker!

Jen Kershner said...

It totally reminds me of a little lidded jewelery box I bought in Florida when I was a little girl! Adorable!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh, I remember doing the macaroni, but, I did not fancy it up with paint.

I tried to find Tinsel Training in NYC, the first address off the web, the building was torn down, so then someone sent me to another address...No such luck! I was sooo disappointed!

Carol

Melinda said...

Great idea and what a fun project.

Happy 4th to you and yours. Enjoy your day!

:)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Genious! It really looks like shells!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

So cute and perfect for summer!!

Happy 4th, dear friend!

xo

Little Pink Studio said...

Elise, I love your idea of hosting a sweet little summer camp. Too, too cute.
Hope the book is coming along wonderfully!
Cerri xo

Rose Brier Studio said...

I spent many years as the arts & crafts counselor at summer camp. It was a long time ago, but if I think of fun ideas for camp tinker I'll send them along to you! Can't wait to see all the things you come up with.
xo ~Marilee

GardenOfDaisies said...

This is such a clever idea! I Thought it was real shells at firsts too!