Sunday, July 5, 2020

let's make faux milk glass

Happy July! Welcome to my Let's Make Sunday Series where I've resumed blogging to share easy projects while we're all spending so much time at home. It's been way too long since we tinkered with jars so for today's make, they're back!

This project originally appeared in my first book, my baby girl, Tinkered Treasures on page 70 as "painted jars" but because the result resembles milk glass, I decided just now to change the name for this post. Brazen, I know! While milk glass is typically white, depending on what paint you have on hand, you can make your own rules.

You will need:
Jar with lid
Paint (interior house, or craft)

Optional:
Pretty paper, scissors, glue
Trimming



As always begin with a glass jar that is clean and dry. The object of the game is to cover the interior of the jar with a thin coat of paint and let it dry, so you don't want to pour in too much, although you can always pour excess back out.



Return lid to jar and roll around to cover inside with paint until no glass is exposed.



Leave jar open and allow the paint inside to dry. 



Cut out a motif from a favorite paper and affix to the outside of the jar using a bit of glue.



Add trimming and secure with glue, if you like, or leave plain. The jars are best used to hold dry objects; I generally tuck a cupcake wrapper inside to serve as a liner.



Now that I've rethought this project as milk glass, I want to make some using white paint or a jadeite shade of mixed white and green! Turquoise would be fun, too.

Happy tinkering + please stay safe at home + well!

xo
elyse

If you haven't already, find me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/elyse.press.major/ or Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ElyseMajorTinkeredTreasures

*Looking for copies of my books? Please consider first checking your local independent bookstore or try Barnes & Noble before buying from a big retailer like Amazon. Shop small, buy local.

No comments: