Sunday, July 19, 2020

let's make coasters

Welcome to my Let's Make Sunday Series where I've resumed blogging to share easy projects using materials you are likely to already have at home. I live in Rhode Island where it is currently summertime and cold drinks often require a coaster – so let's make some! No need to read three long paragraphs about summer and coasters and drinks, let's get right to it, shall we?

You will need:
Jar lids (I'm using lids from Bonne Maman preserves)
Cotton fabric
Math compass
Paper
Scissors

In a nutshell – or a lid – the goal is to cut a circle of fabric to fit the inside of a lid. 


Tracing the lid won't give the best fit so I decided to get out the ol' math compass.


Position the point of the math compass to the center of the lid and then extend the arm holding the pencil close the inner edge.


Keeping the math compass "frozen" in position, move it over to a piece of paper {I'm using this cute handy pad from E. Frances}, position point-down and rotate the pencil to draw a circle. Cut out the circle to be your template. Use your template to cut as many fabric circles as you'd like. No math compass? No worries. Trace the bottom of a glass similar in size to your jar lid or just estimate – it will be fine.


Place the fabric circles into the lids and voila! Your summer coasters are complete.


I chose NOT to glue the fabric to the lids to keep them easy to remove to replace and wash, if needed.


If you are swooning over the fabric, I've had it for a while and it is Rambling Rose, Cherries, Blue from Tanya Whelan.


So cute, easy and fun, right!? Happy tinkering + please stay safe at home + well!

xo
elyse


Find me on Instagram at or Facebook 

No comments: