Sunday, May 16, 2010

forget these? not!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who visited my guest post at The Creative Connection blog. My blogging friendships continue to overwhelm me. The generosity, support, enthusiasm and inspiration I receive dazzles and warms me. Thank you all so much.



Last weekend I visited my sisters and their families in New Jersey. Even though the cause for the trip was serious, we still made time for fun.



My oldest sister keeps a bunch of metallic forget-me-nots in a mercury glass cup. It's lovely. When I asked where she found the flowers, she shrugged, "Bob's."



Bob's is the name of the local hobby shop. You know the kind: authorized Scouts dealer, model equipment. And lucky for me, lots of neglected forget-me-nots, cake toppers, and other doo-dads I covet.



I didn't have my camera with me or I would have photographed the endless row of drawers filled with cake toppers (no small ballerinas, but, hey). Even though I loaded up a bag, I second-guess if I brought home enough!



The funny thing is that I don't really use cupcake toppers in projects but I like to amass and display them in my Girlie Office.



I do however employ forget-me-nots, finding them quite swoon~worthy.



Fun goodies at 35 cents a piece



"You were digging today," the cashier remarked.
(Little did he know, I was containing a fit of excitement)



This is not from Bob's. My beloved niece who is fairytale-kind and beautiful, now has her own apartment. She has always known that I love this toy of hers: a wee bowling set of elves housed in a mushroom.



She surprised me by telling me to take it home. I keep it in my dining room.
If you are reading this, thank you, sweetie!



Meanwhile back to the hobby shop ...
Consider scouting out your nearby, unassuming hobby shop to find what overlooked goodies are collecting dust on the shelves. You might just have your own secret fit at the register.

xo
elyse

31 comments:

Lori said...

who would'a thunk you could find such treasures at a hobby shop...not me, that's for sure...i LOVE the little aqua gal...and the forget me nots are adorable...LOVE!!!



hee hee, i was thinking of you when i did my last post title:)

Cindy said...

Great suggestion about the hobby shops!! I will try this!

Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gignham

Jeanne said...

We used to have a local hobby shop called Robert's (maybe it was a relation of Bob?) that carried all of these kinds of wonderful items too. It's been gone for years now and I sure do miss it.
xo
jeanne

Jill said...

Okay, I'm having fits over that little mushroom with the sweet little gnomes inside-- so cute!
Hugs,
Jill

Anonymous said...

I know that I oooo and ahhhh a lot, but my goodness, Elyse, the wee bowling set of elves housed in a mushroom is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Adorable!!!
Have a great week!
Zuzu

Sandi said...

What cute finds Elyse!! I love digging. I think that is half the fun. lol.
Bob's reminds me of a store we used to go to in Pennsylvania when we would visit my sister. It was called "Whitey's" and had everything you can imagine. I dug a lot in that store! Fun times!
hugs~

Theresa said...

Wow, Elyse... Great finds at that little hobby shop! You just find the sweetest things in the strangest places! Love the little bowling set, what a sweet gift! Have a blessed evening my friend! HUGS!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

What Wonderful Treasures! I love little hobby shops and dollar stores. You really don't know on any given day what you might fine. I love what you found!

FUN!!!
Joyce

Claudia said...

The elves in the mushroom - too cute for words! I love the little ladies and I am crazy about the princess phone!

xo
Claudia

beth said...

Great tip! An I am also loving that phone! :)

koralee said...

What a great tip..I never think of hobby shops...Love your treasures..what fun you will have with these. Blessings for a great week. xo

Scrap for Joy said...

Sure looks like a lot of fun in a bag to me! I love that princess phone...too cute! My eyes are wide open in any kind of store...always looking for things to repurpose or use in crafting. I clicked on one of your older posts and saw that you'd like to go to Tinsel Trading some day. I have been there and it was awesome! In fact, all of 37th Street is filled with trims, notions and bead places. I will soon be writing about M&J Trimmings which I visited last weekend. (for the second time)
~Joyce

Hearts Turned said...

Wow! What wonderful treasures you found, Elyse! I'd love some of those in some mercury glass (LOVE mercury glass!) Thanks for sharing all your pretties!

Hope all's well with your family (your visit to New Jersey...) and that you're having a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

They're super duper sweet...love them xx

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your blog!
Diane

Lisa said...

Cool!!! I love all your goodies! I will have to see if have any hobby shops left! They are pretty much all gone around us. Mom used to love them!
Glad you had a good time this weekend♥
Hugs, Lisa

Little Pink Studio said...

Great finds Elyse. I haven't seen the metallic forget me nots before!
I love the sweet little set your niece gave you, it's darling!
Cerri xo

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I would have never thought to look in a hobby shop for those! I will have to check out one.
Hugs,
Penny

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Such cute treasures! The forget me nots are just precious!

stefanie said...

what treasures...I am in LOVE with the little girls!!!

Cathy said...

Hi Elyse,

Thank you so much for faithfully stopping by my blog and leaving me well wishes while I was sick.

I am so much better now and back to creating again. I've got about 5 different projects started! Definitely back to my old self.

xo Cathy

debi said...

Wow! You found some really fun goodies. I gotta start checking out the hobby stores!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I love all your tiny treasures Elyse! I LOVE the blue princess phone! Does that bring back memories!

Hope you are having a very relaxing week and no worries! ;)

Love,
Maryjane
xox

Free Pretty Things For You said...

oh my dear! i just read your post over at at The Creative Connection! loved it! :)

Kateyed said...

Oh, I just love your old craft shop loot! I find similar things in a store called Art Scraps where everyone brings their discards and teachers buy them for art lessons. Many fun things in there.

I will be on the lookout for the old craft stores...I know just the kind you mean.I am glad you were so lucky!


Suz

Jessi Nagy said...

hey cutie,
aaahhh swooning over here.
look at all thos vintage goodies!!
score!!
im also drooling over the cc post. all those vintage goodies.
aaahhh heaven.
hope all is well
oxoxo,
jessi

Deborah said...

Hello and ever so happy to make your acquaintance. Thank you for stopping by so that I could come visit your lovely side of the blogasphere. I'm off to visit your shoppe! **blows kisses** Deb

Katy Noelle said...

Treasures, indeed!

Kim-Fille de Fleur said...

I can not believe those forget me nots! Never in my life have I seen metallic ones. And the multi colored are fabulous! When I was in Jersey I would have hopped off the train that I had been on for 26 hours just to buy some at Bob's! You really scored Elyse! I also love the litte cake toppers, Why do I love little things so much?
Wish you could fly out and join me for Glitterfest! You would love it!
Kim

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty said...

Wow! You found some fantastic little things didn't you?!
LOVE that bowling set!!!
Mercedes

Nishant said...

i LOVE the little aqua gal...and the forget me nots are adorable...LOVE!!!
Adsense Alternative