Tuesday, May 1, 2012

girl and wallpaper reunite


 













It was back in 2010 that I posted: girl meets wallpaper a tale of GASPing over wallpaper in Romantic Homes, tracking it down, and using it here and there ... on a wall, framed as art and to cover the side of a small cabinet.

 













For a while now, I'd been thinking about using the left over scraps to line the insides of cabinets. The other afternoon while on a writing break, I needed a project to clear my head and out came the last rolled remnant!

 
















Without much planning (er, none) I peeled a first sheet of contact paper from a shelf and used it as my template to cut a piece of wallpaper to fit. Not even taking the time to grab the wallpaper paste from the basement, I zig-zagged a line of school glue, smeared it around with my hand (with a plastic lunch bag as a glove) and "installed" the wallpaper. I added spots of glue where needed and then rubbed the paper smooth with a dry paper towel.


















When I finished the first shelf I thought: Am I crazy? No planning, no measuring, no nothing? But, somehow it worked and so I continued and completed two more shelves until, alas there was not enough paper left. I pulled out some pretty shelf lining I had purchased at The Rose Victorian and used it to trim the top shelves. Again motivated by haste, I secured the lace paper with tape.















Even though I was only able to cover three shelves, it gives the kitchen the little boost I craved and might just make unloading the dishwasher a tiny bit more pleasant.

In book news: My first text deadline is complete! Thanks as always for your much-appreciated well-wishes and cheers!

In blogging news: It looks like Blogger has changed a bit and I have no idea how this post is going to look when published! Why so many constant online changes? LOL

Happy May!

xo
elyse
















24 comments:

MelMel said...

OOhhh love what you've done....looks super!xxx

Jill said...

Love that--- your shelves look so cute and cheery. I'm going to be lining some drawers and shelves with pink polka dots soon. I like your idea of using the previous liner as a template. You clever girl!
Hugs,
Jill

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

Sometimes it is much simpler than we think to make things look lovely! Your bravery paid off.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! and with your flowery mugs hanging there... just perfect!

Oh I love it when a "on a whim" project is quick, easy AND turns out! Wish they could all be that way. Well, maybe not or I'd do them all the time and never cook. :)

I so enjoy reading your little book progress updates. I'm so happy for you to be doing something you love. ♥

Blondie's Journal said...

How sweet this looks, Elyse!! I have always had a fear of lining shelves and drawers as I am inpatient and hate to measure! It looks like this worked to your advantage!. Very pretty wallpaper and I like the lace trim.

Good luck with your writing! :)

XO,
Jane

P.S. I really despise the new blogger changes!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

elyse, I love wallpaper!

Anonymous said...

Sweet little changes can make us so happy!

So happy you made your first deadline on your book. Does that mean you can take a little breather?

bee blessed
mary

Rebecca said...

Now I was just telling a friend yesterday about how I am not crazy about this new wallpaper trend, but I love what you have done! You have changed my mind, lol. Becks x

Rebecca said...

Now I was just telling a friend yesterday about how I am not crazy about this new wallpaper trend, but I love what you have done! You have changed my mind, lol. Becks x

Theresa said...

Love the idea! Your shelves look so fresh and new:) Enjoy your day dear Elyse, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Your shelves look lovely. What a great idea for wallpaper. I have a few rolls leftover from the previous owner to my kitchen. I never thought of using that to line my shelves. I have one cupboard that I am going to try. You are always inspiring.

Karen

Hearts Turned said...

It looks beautiful, Elyse! Sounds like you do things like I do...by just holding your breath & jumping in! (sometimes it doesn't work as well as I'd like, though!)

SO glad things are going well with your book! SO looking forward to seeing it "in person"!

Wishing you a beautiful, creative day, dear friend...

Julie

Ruby and Arthur said...

Cute project! Thanks for sharing it, Jean

Melinda said...

The shelves look great!
Don't you just love it when Blogger goes on a tear??

Melinda

SLR said...

oooooh, i love it! it sure will make putting the dishes away a bit more pleasant indeed, although your dishes are quite pleasant as is! i like your DIY style...make no haste...just get down to it...that's how i rock n' roll too, bobbsy!

Unknown said...

very cute blog you have, had a great time looking through it :)

Anonymous said...

It came out so very pretty, Elyse!!!

Lisa said...

Love the wallpaper and the dishes ;)
Hugs, Lisa

culturafemenina said...

Very fresh and lovely.

FERİDECO said...

Hello, Harika olmuş vede çok düzenli ellerine sağlık

Susan Freeman said...

I love this wallpaper Elyse! I don't know why blogger insists on the constant changes either. I was away from blogging for a week while my Mom was in the hosptial and when I came back I didn't recognize anything. I have since adapted, but I wish they would stay constant for a while.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Kit said...

Looks so lovely! I really need to do the same thing this summer. :) Kit

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely, E. And heartfelt congrats on the book. So excited for you and can't wait to buy it!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Sweetie! Can't wait for your book to be out! I will send you my copy to be signed! Have a wonderful day Elyse! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox