Sunday, February 3, 2019

insta inadvertent decor diary

We're living in an age where our every move is documented in some form or another. Sometimes this is a useful thing; for example in a few moments I retraced that instant when I decided to paint my kitchen-dining room walls white.


I saw the above post and GASP... began following each account involved in the making of this bright and simple mudroom. As commented, I was smitten with the white walls, woven blinds, and overall simplicity.


Ever the fickle decorating pickle, I'd been switching accents around in my dining room, most notably the window treatments and table coverings. Shabby Chic valances and a lace window panel; roller blinds striped with Frog tape for the IKEA book paired with yardage of floral cotton; and finally black and white checked valances with a section of brown kraft paper. Despite the look from varying exposures, always the white table, always the smoke blue Isabella dining chairs, and always the Spring Morn-painted walls. I always adored the dining decor but suddenly it seemed fussy.


Even a room in Dollhouse no. 2 received a test make-over with a white accent wall and matchstick blinds fashioned from toothpicks. I was ready for this change. Down came the valances and wall decor of the real kitchen and dining room, and in came buckets of pure white; painting was completed toward the end of September.


So fresh, open and clean, I didn't want to return anything except for the dining set. Of course pieces did make it back, including the addition of the living room armoire which couldn't accommodate the size of a new-to-us TV.


All of the wall decor and miscellaneous items ended up in the Girlie Office during the painting process.


I found affordable woven Roman shades at Overstock and as documented on Instagram, they were all installed by mid-November. The chandelier still hangs but I've been thinking of replacing it with this industrial pendant lamp that was once in my youngest son's room.


I am really enjoying the streamline look so much so, that no wall decor has been returned to either the kitchen or dining room walls. Will the Fresh Cut Flowers enamel sign return? Will there be a mirror or a painting? I want the spaces to have a coastal-farmhouse vibe but in the meantime, am leaving it be and enjoying the simplicity and will likely be documenting any progress on Instagram.

Thanks for reading and Happy February!

xo
elyse




No comments: