Tuesday, August 25, 2015

i miss my couch

I suppose I have a long history of becoming sentimentally attached to furniture. I remember sobbing when my parents sold this chair. It was the perfect place to fall asleep, even during your own birthday party.

My husband Jeff and I purchased the cloud blue slipcover couch below soon after we moved into our house. Goofy ol' couch, it was never even comfortable! The stuffing was never right. The furniture store even sent someone to add stuffing to it and then it was too bulky. Our boys even removed some of the stuffing to make a craft project. To have to sit on it during family movie night was akin to losing a bet yet somehow the frame broke rendering it more sinkhole than seat.


A few months ago we scheduled a bulky item pick-up and Jeff actually hacked the couch apart to fit through the front door to get it to the curb. Good riddance! The coveted comfortable love seat remains, soft and faded, worn and stained. It will be heading to the boy's study room.



So what's in the living room now? An Ikea Ektorp sofa and love seat. I haven't mentioned this but I'm currently working on a book about altering things from the Swedish retailer and have ended up with some pieces in my home. Even before this project came to be, I had my sights set on this very couch.

The wallpaper-backed window stays!
I think I am blue over missing the pale wash of color of the big uncomfy couch and am now trying to figure out how to make the dark grey work amidst the soft hues.


Just now I decided to skip Pinterest and simply do a Google Image search for "grey Ektorp couch." I very much like this tone-on tone but the white cushions aren't going to work in my house.

Image: Comfort Works

Pillows, a throw and some sparkle will help. Perhaps I will paint my existing lamp bases in a shiny metallic?


This image from Ikea is very nice. Sparkle: check; smaller coffee table: noted; inclusion of woven chair and basket: nice. Rug: also noted.


I'm really liking all of this, too. Similar layout.


Okay. I think I'm feeling better now. If you have any ideas, please comment. Thoughts on window treatments? Should I paint the coffee table the pale blue of the old couch? That goofy ol' couch.

Gathering ideas at charcoal + cloud

xo
elyse

13 comments:

Mary Anne Komar said...

I have the Ektorp as well! I have actually dyed two sets of slip overs, one red and the other a soft blue mixed with a touch of green, and have one more set to dye a soft butter cream shade. It's so easy with rit dye in the washer. I did the main part in one load and the cushions in another load. It's inexpensive and fun to be able to change them out!

Danielle said...

Hi Elyse, was at your home when the couch was going to be picked up. Being partial to blue then you know I LOVED the color of that couch. I think you miss the light and airy feeling that was in your living room. I think you need some pale blue or pale pink throw pillows as that are the colors you like. What about some sheers from Ikea or Shabby Chic Target to allow more light in. Maybe a lambskin thrown over the back of the couch for winter to add a bit of white. Just throwing out ideas. Would love to help you decorate your new Ikea couch. So excited about your new book. x

Theresa said...

I get attached to furniture too:) I am in the market for a sofa/loveseat and recliner right now! I have looked on-line and in-store... still nothing compares to the one I am sitting on right now! Comfort is what is most important to me! Perhaps I should get an uncomfortable one and I wouldn't sit there so much:) Have a blessed day dear friend, I am sure you will make your room gorgeous! HUGS!

Diane Mars said...

Wow I am not one to ask... at this point our couch is getting broken down.. I have put a couple pieces of mason board under the cushions to give it more support.. we recently changed our flooring so we too are in the market for living room furniture oh and most important our living room is on the small side.... and working around placement of fireplace and window it has become a challenge... good luck!

cindy said...

Want to do this. ..did you do it in your home washer?

cindy said...

Want to do this. ..did you do it in your home washer?

Mary Anne Komar said...

I dyed them in our top loading washer, easy peasy!

GS said...

I think the blue of the old couch was a significant factor in the feel of your living room. Is it possible to have that cover reconfigured to fit your Ektorp? Ikea does sell other covers for their furniture. Their white-ish one might give you a cozier feel. I personally find the gray draining, but it's what you love that matters!

Cindy said...

I too think it is the loss of the blue color that is making you feel blue. One of my favorite color combinations is gray and blue. Perhaps blue pillows or blue slip covers for the new more comfortable couch? Whatever you decide, I know it's going to be unbelievably gorgeous!!

Cindy said...

I too think it is the loss of the blue color that is making you feel blue. One of my favorite color combinations is gray and blue. Perhaps blue pillows or blue slip covers for the new more comfortable couch? Whatever you decide, I know it's going to be unbelievably gorgeous!!

Unknown said...



thank you

سعودي اوتو

Bennie Dixon said...

I just thought I would tell you about the possibility of cleaning your old couch. If you hire a professional cleaning company, it will be as good as new for your kids study room. I use a local cleaning company to clean my couch, and they are not expensive. May just be worth it, before they start to use it.

Bennie Dixon @ Safeclean Wandsworth

Unknown said...

Follow what your heart desires :) for me gray and blue will make a good combination :) Thankyou for sharing this post :)
Keep Blogging :)